Christmas! A time of joy, festivities and irritatingly, spots. While we’re decking the halls and sipping on mulled wine our skin can often throw a bit of a seasonal tantrum. However, this year, we can give our skin the best chance of staying spot free with some scientifically backed tips.
Understanding Festive Breakout Culprits
The Christmas holidays are notorious for:
- Rich Foods and Sugary Treats: These can cause insulin spikes, leading to inflammation and, you guessed it, spots.
- Stress: Stress can trigger hormonal changes, making your skin more susceptible to breakouts.
- Lack of Sleep: Poor sleep can lead to increased cortisol levels, another culprit for breakouts.
Preventing Christmas Spots
- Balance Your Diet: Enjoy your festive treats but balance them with foods like leafy greens, nuts, and fruits. These are rich in vitamins and antioxidants.
- Stay Hydrated: Amid the hot chocolates and soft drinks, don’t forget good old water. It’s the secret potion for helping to keep your skin clear.
- Keep washing: Try to cleanse and moisturise every day. Consistency is key.
When Spots Occur
- Don't Panic: Remember, it’s normal.
- Spot Treatment: Use a spot treatment containing salicylic acid and a soothing ingredient.
- Avoid Picking: As tempting as it might be, try not to pick.
- Gentle Exfoliation: Helps to remove dead skin cells and unclog pores.
- Stay Confident: Remember, your holiday spirit is your best accessory.
- Use a Spot Gel.
Spot On: The Power Ingredients
When an unwelcome spot does pop up there are three fantastic ingredients to look out for:
- Salicylic acid
- Lactic acid
- Chlorella vulgaris.
A combination of all three is the gold standard.
Salicylic acid, a beta hydroxy acid (BHA), works into pores to clear out excess oil and dead skin cells, preventing blockages that lead to spots.
Lactic acid, an alpha hydroxy acid (AHA), gently exfoliates the skin’s surface, enhancing its texture and tone and helping to reduce the appearance of post spot marks.
Chlorella Vulgaris, a type of green algae, is rich in nutrients and has been shown to have skin soothing and anti-inflammatory properties, making it a great ally in calming down red, angry spots.
Together, they form a targeted formulation that not only addresses the current spot but also helps in preventing future breakouts. It’s a festive gift for your skin, ensuring that even if a spot does make an appearance, it won’t stay for long!